Saturday, October 23, 2010

Redeming the Time

Redeeming the Time Study guide

This section is to give an overview of one of my study books, Redeeming the Time Study Guide. The author is Rick Grubbs from Life Changing Seminars (lifechangingseminars.com), based in Salisbury, N.C.

The book opens with a short dialogue on time, what it means, and then allows someone else to give a clearer definition. That person is Benjamin Franklin. He has accomplished more in his lifetime than most any of us could even imagine! That's something you can look up on your own, but I'll give a few. First to invent/create/have idea for, did or accomplished: bifocals, lightning rod, Ambassador to France, discovered electrical properties, pos & neg, founded 1st Library, diplomat to London, Signed Declaration of Independence, Daylight Savings Time, the first militia, the first fire department, the Franklin Stove, school desk with one arm attached to chair, one of the founders of the University of Pennsylvania, started a Life Insurance Company, was a printer, a publisher, started Saturday Evening Post, started Poor Richards Almanac. HE SAID: “DO YOU LOVE LIFE? THEN DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT LIFE IS MADE OF.”

Redeeming the Time continues by giving the reader perspectives on what time wasters are, how to identify them. It goes into great depth on the eternal perspectives of time, whether we use it to the benefit of eternity, or lose it for eternal sorrow and tragedy. We will continue on, whether with God's receiving us as “well done, good and faithful servant,” or “depart from Me, I never knew you”. Now, here is a good place to say that our works are not taking us to heaven. Jesus Christ's sacrifice, and our faith in Him as a finished work of and for salvation, is our only means to eternal life. But that faith will result in good works in honor and thankfulness to Him.

Rick Grubbs lays out a time line of the average life expectancy, and we can place ourselves somewhere on that line. When can see how much we've used, and maybe how much we have left. It can be sobering to say the least. What are we going to do with the rest of our time? I'm speaking as one who feels I've wasted major amounts of time, major parts of my life, and it will shock you to take a serious look.
Time is not recoverable, says Grubbs on pp. 35. Once it is gone, it is gone. The clock keeps ticking, and doesn't stop for nothing or no one. There is no other asset so valuable as time.

Grubbs goes on to talk about ways of redeeming time. He told how several years ago, read a Proverb in the Bible about the slothful (lazy) man turning on his bed as a door turns on it's hinges” He said, “that's me, hitting the snooze button, rolling over, hitting it again, etc, etc. Grubbs took his clock apart, cut the wire to his snooze button, and that settled that! He may not still have that same clock, but he taught himself something valuable. Fifteen minutes saved each day will give you 92 hours of waking life each year! As I said, I'm in the process, with God's help, of applying these things.

Other discussions in this book: * Organization-have a planner and a plan *Getting rid of time wasters
*The activities you choose; what will be their profit in years to come, and much more important, in eternity? *Stopping procrastination

Life Changing Seminars with Rick Grubbs can be a source of help for nearly everyone. If you've read this far, then take another step and contact them!



2

Part 2: This section is a continuation of the study on Redeeming the Time Study Guide.
The purpose here is to outline and briefly discuss three major areas that stood out to me personally in R.T.

First, the reality of how quickly time goes by. Obviously, since I'm older, I will see that more so now. However, I can remember thinking seriously about how time is continually moving in my 30's. I do want to make the best of the time I have left, and serve God in it. I must keep telling myself to use my time wisely. Yes, I have areas in my life that I know need re modification, moderation, or deletion. Then there are areas that need acceleration, amplification, and implementation. By God's grace and His working in my life, I will be able to make those changes, and live a more productive life, resulting in a happier life.

Second, trying to grasp the concept of eternity by the study of Ten Duotrigintillion. (Grubbs works with the largest number that on record (somewhere!) that is One with 100 zero's behind it. Ten Trillion is One with 13 zero's. The estimated electrons in the universe is 1 to the 85th power. Still, this doesn't touch eternity.
I know as a Christian I should be happy to think about spending eternity with Jesus Christ, but most of the time I'm thinking about all there is to do. I also realize that if I just “do what God wants me to do right now", (R. Grubbs) I will be happy. That's what I need to to keep working on.

Third, the challenge to get organized. With some people, this has been or is a strong discipline in their lives. I struggle with these things. Yes, I've been able to organize areas at different stages of my life, I know I can do it, but also at times I may allow things to go back into disorganization.

The good thing is, like you, reading material like this, and have taken this course of study! There are important things that I must remember and keep in focus, and prioritize, so that I may accomplish what God wants me to accomplish.



Part Three: In this section I will lay out a simple plan on how to implement these particular areas that need attention.

To be time conscious, I will begin to keep better track of where my time goes, even writing it down on a chart. In doing so, I'll have an actual record of where my time is effective as well as identifying my “time wasters”. Yes, I know in a general sense where my productive times are and where the time wasters are, but if I write my time down, I'll be less likely to excuse my time wasters and my procrastinational periods. I will continue to pursue reading and studying on Time Management information.

As for the matter of time in relation to eternity, my best resource for keeping this clear in my mind is Bible study. All of Scripture encourages us to be conscious of our time and what we do in relation to eternal perspectives, and standing before God to give account of our lives. This is the very sobering part, but if can get ourselves into the practice of, as Mr. Grubbs stated, asking “What does God want me to do right now?”, that will be a big help to us. That is worth repeating. Remember to ask, “What does God want me to do right now?”

3

Thirdly, in planning how to implement my goals to better manage my time, it's going to take a lot more organization in my life. In seeking to accomplish more at this period of my life than I have in previous years, I'm finding that better organization will be one of my greatest assets, or I should say necessities. Things like filing items correctly THE FIRST TIME, so I don't have to handle the same material more than necessary, have better control over my email, which seems to get way out of hand for me! Mr. Grubbs spoke about learning to handle email once! Respond, file, or trash it, in simple language! Sometimes I can benefit from finding someone else, who is willing to do so, to help me with things that they may be better at than me. Or someone who simply has the time to do so.
Also, as I mentioned in another place, having a good planner will save time and keep me better organized. I have been using a simple weekly planner, but I realize it is becoming inefficient for my needs.
Simply, any means of saving valuable time that works well and doesn't affect something else in an extremely negative way are the things I need to be on the look out for. Time is what we trade our life for, to paraphrase B. Franklin.
Time is precious.






















No comments:

Post a Comment